Google
 

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Cook's Thesaurus


“The Cook's Thesaurus is a cooking encyclopedia that covers thousands of ingredients and kitchen tools. Entries include pictures, descriptions, synonyms, pronunciations, and suggested substitutions”. This quote was taken from the website as a brief description of what you can expect from the link. I personally find the information given in the website extremely useful.

Just have a look at the lentils section.

All the lentils are listed with a short description and a nice picture. If this sample does not excite you much, it may be because we are very familiar with the lentils and their varieties. This website can be a boon when you are trying a recipe with a new ingredient.

I do not make many dishes with cheese, but Italian food is my favorite. When I experiment things in my kitchen with cheese, I know for sure this link will be useful. Infact the fact that there are so many varieties of cheese was a shock to me, I thought there would be a soft cheese, semi soft cheese and firm cheese but going through each variety of cheese gives insight to know further about the texture and variations in flavor.



Here are two more links that would give you a feel about the contents of the website.

Oils
Tubers

Cook Thesarus is a website you can definitely have a peek before you shop for any new ingredient so don't forget bookmark it.

No comments: